Game Idea Research

 Week 04

Game Idea Research

This week we are to choose an idea from our last week's post. I'm going to choose the Dragon Flight game and mix it with the endless runner as I think it would be a perfect fit for both of them. 
So here is how it's going to work, The dragon is going to be flying on three grids, these grids will have obstacles and ways to switch between them so that the player can dodge through the course and achieve a high score. 
For any game idea to grow and actually become something, it needs a set of rules or better yet, Mechanics!

What are Mechanics in video games?
Mechanics are aspects of the game which define the rules in which the player follows within the world the player is put in. These dictate how the player players the game and how the game is played.
There is more about the meaning of mechanics here: shorturl.at/sEP78

There are two types of game mechanics and some examples for them:
  1. Player Mechanics - a rule that could happen when the player follows while playing 
  2. Game Mechanics - a rule that could happen when the player is to finish a level or some changes that happen to the world around the player.

There are many mechanics to think or consider making when it comes to games
Some mechanics that I think could be best applicable to my game would be a turning mechanic, Rotation mechanic, and pacing mechanic. 

Turning Mechanic:
This mechanic would be good for the game I'm going with because it would be crucial for the dragon to turn corners and change lanes in the game. I could also add an animation to this action to make the turning mechanic look smooth, this would add a bit of style and character to the dragon when the player is controlling it.

Rotation Mechanic:
I think this would be a good fit for the game, when the dragon moves up or down on the grids when its just after making a move into another lane or moving up or down on a lane. This would make the dragon and flight physics more realistic.

Time Mechanic:
I would love to implement this mechanic to my game somehow because it would be a world mechanic type. This would mean that as the player progresses overtime the world will change and the challenges get harder and the speed of the game gets faster to try and challenge the player even more.

There are many other types of mechanics that can be used and learned, one of rh resources i found helpful in my research was forums, places where people could share their thoughts on what they think are mechanics. Find more info here: shorturl.at/fnsFX

I also found this to be a very helpful way of understanding the main mechanics in games today, on this site they discuss 14 of the most popular game mechanics 14 Best Hyper-casual Gameplay Mechanics - GameAnalytics

Comments

  1. Hey I saw that image of Google too, crazy world. I'm not sure if my thoughts of Dragon Flight game is right but it makes me think of the flying levels in the Spyro games. This does seem to have some very nice potential those as a game and I'm sure you'll execute it flawlessly you stud muffin you xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WOah yeah now that you say it it does kind of seem similar, Spyro was always a sick character and thank you Brandy! x

      Delete
  2. Hey Adam, I think your chosen Idea is a pretty cool choice to go with in the end. I really like how you divided up Player Mechanics and Game Mechanics when you are talking about the both of them, I would be in a similar boat in the mechanics that I am going to have to use in my game as-well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Man I learned more about game mechanics in your blog than i did in all of my own research for my blog, your doing great, and I Cant wait to see your game come into fruition!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Adam, I really like the idea that you are going with it reminds me a lot of the dragon flight levels in spyro if youve ever played spyro you would know haha it can tend to get very triggering at times but overall is a fun level to do and thats what this idea reminds me of the most. What things are you considering to add into the game? will you add obstacles that block your path to avoid? would you add environmental hazards that would add a great challenge? I am intrigued to find out because I feel games like this especially if they are time trialed need to include some annoying or challenging levels for the player to overcome and it will add a sense of achievement especially if it proved to be annoying for the player. I am excited to see how this game turns out and look forward to possibly even playing it. Nice one man :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction Blog

Alpha

Game Brainstorm