Analysis

 Reading, Week 16

Analysis

How To Efficiently Read a Research Paper | by Shreya Sharma | Medium

This week we had one-to-one sessions with our lecturer, this helped me notice a couple of things with my research. During our talks, my lecturer reviewed my matrix method and my paper trail. She said that I have loads of links for YouTube gameplay or reviews on YouTube as well as blog posts on the subject of the multiplayer storylines and how the co-op can affect gaming. This was all great but I didn't have enough academic papers or articles that would have in-depth study on these topics. When I was researching my topic for the book I realized that I could have way more to look into in terms of academic papers but I didn't know how to find the info. It's like it was out there but I didn't know how to reach it.
My lecturer mentioned to me that there were good resources for this and one of them was google scholar, or using the library resources. We had a class for the library online one of the weeks but I didn't properly understand it so I put it to the back of my mind. I've never done research like this before so it's a bit of a change, I also find it hard to read loads of text and get overwhelmed by it sometimes but I'll try my best to work in chunks to better understand the topic.

After looking into google scholar, I typed in "Co-Op in gaming" and I found a paper
written by the British Educational Research Association.
The article was on the topic of "Can cooperative video games encourage social and motivational inclusion of at-risk students?"
Applying the "Three Pass Method" I was able to make my way through this article fast and efficiently. This helped me go through it with a sense of confidence and made it interesting knowing that I actually don't need to read the whole thing word for word. When it comes to researching when I see a whole chunk of text I instantly dread reading the whole thing.
Link to this article:

https://bera-journals.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1111/bjet.12642


The Next article that I discovered was one on "Understanding Cooperative games"
This article I thought was really good because of its overall well-rounded info. There are barely any articles on understanding the ways of co-op gaming.

https://dl.acm.org/doi/abs/10.1145/1753326.1753363

https://dl.acm.org/doi/proceedings/10.1145/1753326

This week google scholar has proved to be a valuable resource and coupling that with the Three Pass Method. It made my life so much easier when it comes to researching and learning more about my topic.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction Blog

Alpha

Game Brainstorm